In a study on 14 patients with alcohol induced liver steatosis supplementation with Cordyceps sinensis biomass at 3g/day resulted in a 70% reduction in AST, a 63% reduction in ALT and a 64% reduction in GGT over a 90 day period1. Animal studies also show that C. sinensis can inhibit alcohol-induced hepatic fibrogenesis, retard the development of cirrhosis and improve liver function2. Antrodia camphorata has traditionally been used for the side effects from excess alcohol consumption (including hangovers) and animal studies confirm its ability to protect the liver against chronic alcohol consumption in rats at a dose of 0.1mg/kg3. Ganoderma lucidum extracts demonstrate significant hepatoprotective action against a range of hepatotoxins, including CCl4, thioacetamide and BCG, while polysaccharide extracts of C. versicolor and L. edodes also show hepatoprotective action in animal models4-10. 1. Cordyceps sinensis supplementation in alcohol-induced liver steatosis. Santos C. Mycology News, 2004;1(9).
2. Inhibitive effect of cordyceps sinensis on experimental
hepatic fibrosis and its possible mechanism. Liu Y.K, Shen
W. World J Gastroenterol. 2003;9(3):529-33.
3. Fruiting body of Niuchangchih (Antrodia camphorata)
protects livers against chronic alcohol consumption damage.
Huang C.H, Chang Y.Y, Liu C.W, Kang W.Y, Lin Y.L, Chang
H.C, Chen Y.C. J Agric Food Chem. 2010;58(6):3859-66.
4. Effect of polysaccharide peptide (PSP) on glutathione and
protection against paracetamol-induced hepatotoxicity in the
rat. Yeung J.H, Chiu L.C, Ooi V.E. Methods Find Exp Clin
5. Immunopharmacologic agents in the amelioration of hepatic
injuries. Farghali H, Masek K. Int J Immunopharmacol.
6. Beta-glucuronidase-inhibitory activity and hepatoprotective
effect of Ganoderma lucidum. Kim D.H, Shim S.B, Kim N.J,
Jang I.S. Biol Pharm Bull. 1999;22(2):162-4.
7. Evaluation of the hepatic and renal-protective effects of
Ganoderma lucidum in mice. Shieh Y.H, Liu C.F, Huang Y.K,
Yang J.Y, Wu I.L, Lin C.H, Li S.C. Am J Chin Med.
8. Hepatoprotective role of Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharide
against BCG-induced immune liver injury in mice. Zhang
G.L, Wang Y.H, Ni W, Teng H.L, Lin Z.B. World J
9. Protection against D-galactosamine-induced acute liver injury
by oral administration of extracts from Lentinus edodes
mycelia. Biol Pharm Bull. 2006;29(8):1651-4.
10. Post-treatment of Ganoderma lucidum reduced liver fibrosis
induced by thioacetamide in mice. Wu Y.W, Fang H.L, Lin
W.C. Phytother Res. 2009. Epub